Friday, October 14, 2022

Is the Concept of Sacrifice a Dialectic?



Our church is reading Bill Mowry's book Walk With Me.  Last night we met to discuss chapter 1.  Don and I presented differing ideas about sacrifice.  His was - when you do things for people you love it isn't a sacrifice.  Mine was - doing things for people takes time and energy and therefore it is a sacrifice.  Maybe it is both?

Don and I really like our "me" time.  We both have lots of interests.  I don't know the right word for it but we are kind of loners/introverts/selfish with our time.  Soon I will write a blog about "love" but for now let's just stick to sacrifice.  

The longer I am a Christian the more I am changing to be less like the world.  As that happens it becomes a new normal and what may have felt like a sacrifice decades ago no longer feels like a sacrifice.  

On the other hand, each day holds an opportunity to watch and listen for the moving of God in my life.  And many days I am so absorbed in my own schedule and thoughts I miss it.  I miss an opportunity to give of myself for another person.  

How can I live more in the present with God in order to hear and see where he is leading me?  I love God and I want to have more of Him and less of me.  

For me that means I have to give away what I value most:  being understood, my time, my energy, my money to name a few.  For me, this is a daily sacrifice.  For me, if I waited to "love people" my circle of care would probably be very small.

I'm just thinking out loud on paper this morning.  What can you add?

No comments:

Post a Comment