Monday, October 3, 2022

God's Word and Why I Harp on It Sometimes



My conversations of late and that conference session I spent time on have kept my focus on the importance of knowing God's Word.  It happened again this morning.

I decided to begin reading the chapter of a book our church's small group is doing, a chapter that I volunteered to facilitate.  I liked the title which is something about God going slow.  I settled in to read.  And right out of the gate I was interacting with the author.  Ok, I was refuting his using the scriptures the way he was to prove his point.  I don't set out to do this.  It just happens.  And is is good and wonderful thing.  In fact, I think this is similar to Paul commending the Bereans for judging his words against the scripture. 

Yesterday I had great conversations with my almost 25 year old granddaughter while we worked on a project together.  We talked nutrition, exercise, abortion, homosexuality.  The foundation of her thoughts on these ideas has been totally shaped by the culture and her own thoughts and feelings.  That makes me sad.  

But it also makes me think that sometimes Christians have their thoughts not so much tuned to the Bible but tuned to a certain slant of the Bible.  I can tell you there short stories from my own life.  

The first story takes place when I am a baby believer open to truth.  I am given a book by my sister which has some doctrine in it that would go against the teaching of the church I was attending.  I read it anyway and am astounded.  I bring the new ideas to the pastor who does not in fact point me to the Bible to search for the truth....which he could have because like so many doctrines you can find proof texts for almost anything...instead he insults me.  True story.  

I begin looking for a church that would preach these new-to-me doctrines (ok, spoiler alert.  I wind up in a reformed church, I had been in a southern Baptist church). So I end up with people (my future husband and his mentor) who have a practice of turning books over before reading them to see where the author went to school and would only read books by conservatives.

Then a decade into my Christianity I had a steady diet of Focus on the Family and their slant or flavor of Christianity. 

Through all these situations I was reading my Bible.  And praying to know the truth.  I had a very questioning mind which had been ignited by my southern relatives when I was only eight years old.  They had a take on the Christian life that was much different than the Catholic church upbringing I was receiving.  They grilled me on Christ being the ONLY mediator between God and man.  I had never heard the Bible quoted to refute something before.  It was very impactful and I believe to this day made me listen carefully to the things I hear and read.

So was it a good or a bad thing having someone refute what my parents were trying to teach me?  Was it a good or bad thing to flip books over or listen exclusively to conservative radio shows? Was it a good thing or a bad thing to protect my children, or try to, from inappropriate movies, books and co-ed sex education classes?  Aren't I glad today for my southern relatives exposing me to something different, something more true than what I was learning at home?

My take away from all these musings is that most people do get exposed to mostly one way of thinking about everything. Getting to know your Bible can allow you to be open to listen to a lot of different takes on life and faith instead of just listening to people who think and feel like you do.  We can have an open posture if we know the scripture and commit to it's authority.  Did I do right by sheltering my kids?  I think so.  Do I wish I had had a better balance of thought while raising them?  Yes.  But on this point I agree with the author of the book I picked up today.  Growing is a lifetime process and it is a slow process.  I'm giving myself grace today.

Read your Bible. Pray to know truth.  It is a prayer I know God will answer.



No comments:

Post a Comment