Thursday, October 13, 2022

Great Reversals

Today I was reading in Psalm 107 in the New English Bible.  I was struck by how many situations were spoken of and how God intervened.  I will start with just the first example (v. 4-9) so you can see how the passage is laid out.

"Some lost their way in desert wastes; they found no road to a city to live in; 

hungry and thirsty, their spirit sank within them. 

So they cried to the LORD in their trouble, and he rescued them from their distress; 

he led them by a straight and easy way until they came to a city to live in. 

Let them thank the LORD for his enduring love and for the marvelous things he has done for men

he has satisfied the thirsty and filled the hungry with good things."

There are four stanzas that are almost identical. Here's the layout:

Some people were in situation "X", so they cried out to the Lord, the Lord does "X" to get them out of said situation, the people are instructed to thankfulness.  

The New English Bible is difficult to find online.  Check it out here.  Read verses 1-32.

What I loved in each of the scenarios is the pattern.  In the one above the people were wandering in the desert and could find no road to the city and they were hungry and thirsty; they cried out to the Lord in their trouble and He gave them a way to the city and provisions; and afterward the people thank Him for loving them and providing for exactly what they needed. I've highlighted the repetitive things in this first example so you can look for them in the last three examples.  

God is a God of great reversals of circumstances. "I was lost but now I am found."  "I was blind but now I see."  He meets us where we are at and gives us exactly what we need.  Praise Him!




No comments:

Post a Comment