This world is not my home. I am just passing through, trying to be light in the darkness. My light is but a flicker here and a flicker there. I find my mind and feelings overwhelmed by the culture around me. Understandably sitting in a culture numbs me to the effects it is having on my life.
I am choosing to get off Facebook because my presence on it does more harm to me than good to others...at least from what I can tell. I will miss some of you, but there are other ways to be in touch with people.
Many recent thoughts, at least in the last year or so, have me convinced that this is the right thing for me to do. Off the top of my head I can think of these:
1. The beginning of Hebrews 12 : We are told to lay aside every weight and the sin that clings to us. I have to say that FB is a weight. If I am trying to run my race, I don't need the weight of FB around my ankle. This weight takes the form of time spent on FB when I could be doing more profitable things.
2. The gospel verse about more of Him and less of me. That takes intention and intention takes time and energy. FB is about me, mine, my opinions, etc. Yes, some of it is about others but for me, it is a way to express MYSELF.
3. Paul in the New Testament says he is determined to know nothing but Christ. Novel!
4. I have been told I am preaching to the choir. Well, that sounds like a colossal waste of time to me!
5. I have just started a study of the book of Daniel and am struck by the resolve of Daniel to not be polluted or watered-down by the culture he finds himself in. That took a lot of guts. Desperate times call for desperate measures.
6. The end is near. No, I have no idea when. If the Lord returns today, would I want Him to find me on Facebook? No.
7. People are perishing all around me. You'd think I could find some more profitable uses of my time. For example, how about praying more? Hmmm. Good idea.
8. And like I have said before, for me, Facebook is pretty isolating. And no, I don't just want to share pictures of my food....which seem to get the most attention of anything I happen to post!
I had the most wonderful weekend. I went away with Linda and we had some of the most spiritually uplifting conversations I have had this year. Ditto to Alicia Harley when we discussed Benner's Presence and Encounter. I want to interact like this with others often. Ok, actually I'd like to do it daily! I don't know how to make that happen BUT I am sure it's not going to happen on Facebook.
I am very interested in what you are reading, thinking, and praying about and how it is effecting your life. I hope you will email or text me about it. Maybe we can meet for coffee or Face Time (whatever that is!) or Skype.
Thanks for listening.