Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The Best Way to Learn

A person knows when they are right. At least I do. And though a thousand may say otherwise, if I know something in the core of my being, I will not be dissuaded. And I have no interest in going to the mat to prove to you I am right.

Recently though I read something that echoed my gut feelings and I thought I could get some public vindication by quoting a best selling author.

In my short 55 years I have heard quite a few times that people need to make their own mistakes, to learn by them. I have never bought into this theory, hence my propensity to give alot of free advice over the years.

When confronted with that statement I am always stunned. Sure, I have learned from many of my own mistakes, but does that mean people "have to learn from their own mistakes"? NO. It either just happens because one does not know any better OR because one has refused to listen to wise counsel OR maybe even because one is lying to themself. The Bible calls people fools who do not listen to the wise. Here are some of the best verses on the topic:

Pr 10:23 ¶ To do evil is like sport to a fool, But a man of understanding has wisdom.

Pr 17:16 ¶ Why is there in the hand of a fool the purchase price of wisdom, Since he has no heart for it?

Pr 17:24 ¶ Wisdom is in the sight of him who has understanding, But the eyes of a fool are on the ends of the earth.

Pr 23:9 ¶ Do not speak in the hearing of a fool, For he will despise the wisdom of your words.

Pr 24:7 ¶ Wisdom is too lofty for a fool; He does not open his mouth in the gate.

Ec 10:3 Even when a fool walks along the way, He lacks wisdom, And he shows everyone that he is a fool.

My conviction comes from the Bible. My vindication comes from the main character in the latest book by Andy Andrews called The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective . Jones says to Andy,
"remember young man, experience is not the best teacher. Other people's experience is the best teacher." (p.9)

No comments:

Post a Comment