Tuesday, November 22, 2016

The Tongue - Week 5

The Tongue - Week 5

  "There is one whose rash words are like sword thrusts, but
   the tongue of the wise brings healing."

Proverbs 12:18 (English Standard Version)

Since  my mouth has gotten me in more trouble than any other part of my body, I would have to say that I have said more hurtful words than I have received in my lifetime.  Oh, don't get me wrong.  I am not a name caller and I rarely raise my voice.  Both of those things have been done to me in relationships I have been in.  And that is no fun at all.  But how do the maybe 50 times that has happened compare to things I have said over the years to others about others? 

Trust me I am trying to improve my track record of "just telling it like it is" or as I have sometimes said, "I'm the reality girl."  I call them like I sees them. 

Over the years I have criticized people's choices of where to live, what to eat, how to dress, how many children to have, what school or not to send their kid to, what church to go to, how to spend money and how not to spend money.  I've been an expert on relationships, parenting, saving, how to spend leisure time, etc.  The list goes on.



I suppose my weighing in to people on how others live their lives definitely constitutes gossip.  Huge amounts of repentance needed on this count!

I wonder how people feel who have actually called people names.  I have been on the receiving end and when they come from someone who claims to love you, well, all I can say is the Proverb above is definitely true.  The words are like stabs to the heart. 

I would like to challenge us this week to really examine our thoughts.  The Bible says to bring every thought captive to Christ.  II Corinthians 10:5 "We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ."

If are thoughts are captive to obey Christ, we will not have to worry about gossip and stabbing people with our words. 

If we are truly wise our words will bring healing to others.








No comments:

Post a Comment